The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires that every state has an exchange where consumers can buy individual health insurance policies. In Ohio, the federal government runs the health insurance exchange. Ohioans who do not have health insurance through their employer, Medicare, or Medicaid may be eligible to purchase coverage through the exchange.
Open Enrollment for 2022 runs Monday, November 1, 2021–Saturday, January 15, 2022. Enroll by December 15, 2021 for coverage that starts January 1, 2022.
The sections below include a summary of Ohio’s individual market for 2022. The data is based on product filings the Ohio Department of Insurance is currently reviewing.
Ohio's Health Insurance Market 2022
- For 2021, the department approved 10 companies to sell on the exchange. Based on the plan information the department approved, most counties had at least three insurers. 29 counties had two insurers, and just one county had only one insurer.
- For 2022, the department approved the same 10 companies to sell on the exchange. Based on those filings, all counties will have at least two insurers and all but six counties will have three or more insurers.
Companies Who Have Filed to Sell in 2022
- AultCare Insurance Company
- Buckeye Community Health Plan
- Community Insurance Company
- Medical Health Insuring Corp. of Ohio
- Molina Healthcare of Ohio, Inc.
- Oscar Buckeye State Insurance Corporation
- Oscar Insurance Corporation of Ohio
- Paramount Insurance Company
- Summa Insurance Company
Individual Market Product Availability Map for 2022
Individual Market Premium Information for 2022
Premiums for 2022 are projected to increase compared to 2021 - though individual companies' rates will vary from the average.
Weighted average annual premiums for the individual market for 2022 are projected to be $5,940.52. In 2021 weighted average annual premiums were $5,670.63 - an increase of 4.76%.
When do I begin shopping for my new coverage?
All Ohioans who purchased health insurance through the federal exchange in 2021 and want to continue their coverage will need to select a new plan for 2022 during open enrollment, which begins November 1.
When will my coverage begin?
Open Enrollment for 2022 runs Monday, November 1, 2021 through Saturday, January 15, 2022. Enroll by December 15, 2021 for coverage that starts January 1, 2022.