All Ohio insurance licenses are now required to be renewed. Those issued a Managing General Agent, Public Insurance Adjuster, Public Insurance Adjuster Agent, Reinsurance Intermediary, Surety Bail Bond, Surplus Lines, Third Party Administrator or Viatical Settlement Broker license are required to renew their license(s) on an annual basis. Agents and business entities who hold a Major Lines, Limited Line, Portable Electronics, Title or Title Marketing Representative license are required to renew their license(s) every two years.
While a $25 renewal fee is required to be paid by all limited line and non-resident agents, the renewal fee is waived for all resident agents with a continuing education requirement. Agents with a continuing education requirement must obtain all required credits prior to their license expiration date. An agent will not be eligible to renew their insurance license(s) until they have satisfied their continuing education requirement.
Continuing Education Requirements for Resident Agents
- Major Line License - 24 hours - with 3 hours ethics-specific.
- Surety Bail Bond License - 7 hours - with 6 hours surety bail bond specific and 1 hour classified as ethics.
- Title License - 12 hours - with 6 hours surety bail bond specific and 2 hours classified as ethics.
- Viatical Settlement License - 15 hours- 15 hours viatical specific.
- Limited Line License - No continuing education requirement
Information for Courses and Transcripts
To view your licensing record and verify your license expiration date, we encourage you to utilize the department’s Agent/Agency Locator.