In order for the Ohio Department of Insurance to process a Business Entity license request the "NAIC Uniform Application for Business Entity License/Registration" form must be completed in its entirety.
- Applicant information (Sections 1 through 24): must be completed, if applicable.
- Designated/Responsible Licensed Producer (Section 25): The business entity must have at least one Ohio licensed insurance agent designated as the agent responsible for the business entities compliance with Ohio's insurance laws.
- Owners, Partners, Officers and Directors (Section 26): provide the required information for all owners, partners, officers and/or directors of the business entity with a 10% or more voting interest in the agency.
- Jurisdiction and Type of License/Registration Requested (Section 27 or Section 28):
- Jurisdiction: Ohio
- Legal Business Type: Mark the corresponding Legal Business Type (i.e. C for Corporation)
- License/Registration Type: Mark "Y" for agency/firm
- Lines of Authority: Mark only the authority type for which the Business Entity is applying for
- Previously Licensed: Mark "yes" only if previously licensed in Ohio
- Background Information (Sections 29): Answer questions 1 through 6 and provide specific information as required.
- Attachments (Section 31): Supporting documents must be attached to the application.
- The application must be dated and signed by an officer, director, principal or partner of the business entity. The name, title, and complete address of the signatory must be typed or printed.
- An application fee must be submitted along with the application.
Resident Business Entities must be registered with the Ohio Secretary of State before the Ohio Department of Insurance can issue an insurance license. Ohio law provides that no domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company or limited liability partnership may transact business in Ohio until it has registered with the Ohio Secretary of State. (ORC 1703.03, 1705.54 and 1775.64 respectively). Therefore, the department recommends that Non-Resident Business Entities should contact the Ohio Secretary of State prior to conducting business in Ohio. The telephone numbers for the Ohio Secretary of State are (614) 466-3910 or toll-free (877) 767-3453.
If the applicant is a Partnership, a copy of the partnership agreement must be included. If a written partnership agreement does not exist, an affidavit that outlines the functions of the partnership may be submitted in lieu of the partnership agreement.
If the applicant is a Limited Liability Partnership, a copy of the partnership agreement must be included. If a written partnership agreement does not exist, an affidavit that outlines the functions of the partnership may be submitted in lieu of the partnership agreement.
If the applicant is a Limited Liability Company, a copy of the operating agreement must be included along with a certified copy of the articles of organization.
The Business Entity must have at least one Ohio licensed agent designated as the person responsible for the business entities compliance with Ohio's insurance laws.
The Business Entity must be licensed by the Ohio Department of Insurance and appointed with an insurance company before conducting business in the State of Ohio. There may also be a legal requirement to register with the Ohio Secretary of State prior to conducting business in Ohio, even if the Ohio Department of Insurance has issued a Business Entity license. If you have any questions about Business Entity licensing procedures, please contact the Ohio Department of Insurance, Corporate License Section at (614) 644-2665 extension 2158.
Ohio Department of Insurance
License Division/Corporate Section
50 W. Town Street
Third Floor - Suite 300
Columbus, Ohio 43215
NOTE: The insurance company will be billed once an appointment has been issued.