Web Content ViewerActions
The following is an examination and licensing procedure checklist for the Ohio resident surety bail bond agent. For more information regarding exam reservations, or for directions to a testing center, please contact PSI Services LLC at 800-733-9267 or psiexams.com. For more information regarding the application process, please contact the License Division of the Ohio Department of Insurance at 614-644-2665.
Prepare for the Exam
- Take appropriate Surety Bail Bond pre-license education course.
- Find the outline for your exam at www.psiexams.com.
- Use appropriate study materials.
- Obtain a course completion certificate for Surety Bail Bond.
- Complete an electronic State and FBI criminal background check using WebCheck. The results are returned within two to five business days. Results must be submitted to the Ohio Department of Insurance directly from BCI. WebCheck facilities authorized: ODI authorized WebCheck location.
Schedule the Exam
- Schedule the exam by mail, fax, phone or online. Contact PSI Services LLC at (800) 733-9267or at www.psiexams.com.
- Test at any PSI Services LLC testing center in Ohio; you may also make arrangements through PSI to take the Ohio insurance exam at other PSI Services LLC locations nationwide.
Take the Exam
- Two (2) forms of signature identification, one of which must be government-issued and photo-bearing (preferably a driver’s license).
- Original and valid pre-licensing education certificate. (The certificate is valid for 180 calendar days from completion of course.)
- Confirmation number provided when the reservation was made.
- Failing score report (if retaking the examination).
- Arrive thirty (30) minutes before the examination.
- After passing the examination, if you want to have your fingerprints taken, for the required background check, at the test center (optional), you must also bring a Credit/debit Card.
After Passing the Exam
- Complete the Surety Bail Bond application.
- Supporting application documents should be sent to: Ohio Department of Insurance, 50 W. Town Street, Third Floor - Suite 300, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
- After the license has been approved, contact PSI Services LLC to obtain your photo-bearing Surety Bail Bond wallet card.
Resident agents requesting photo ID wallet card must contact PSI Services LLC at 800-733-9267 and request to order a Surety Bail Bond ID Card and pay a $20.00 processing fee. The card should be shipped within 7 to 10 days after PSI receives payment.
Non-resident agents requesting a photo ID wallet card must contact PSI Services LLC at 1-800-733-9267 to schedule an appointment for a photograph for processing. Make sure you bring your current surety bail bond agent license and a current photo ID to the photograph session. Once the photo is processed, instructions on payment procedure will be provided by PSI Services LLC.
After Unsuccessful Passage of the Exam
- Follow the instructions on the score report received from PSI Services, LLC.
Important Information for Licensed Surety Bail Bond Agents
Ohio Revised Code §§ 3905.85 (C): A surety bail bond agent license issued pursuant to this section authorizes the holder, when appointed by an insurer, to execute or countersign bail bonds in connection with judicial proceedings and to receive money or other things of value for those services. However, the holder shall not execute or deliver a bond during the first one hundred eighty days after the license is initially issued. This restriction does not apply with respect to license renewals.
Ohio Revised Code §§ 3905.85(F): All surety bail bond agents shall renew their license annually on or before the last day of February. Renewal applications shall be accompanied by a $150.00 renewal fee. The superintendent shall not renew the license of any surety bail bond agent who fails to meet the continuing education requirements or whose application for renewal does not meet the requirements of section 3905.85 of the Revised Code.
Ohio Revised Code §§ 3905.88: Each individual who is issued a license as a resident surety bail bond agent shall complete at least seven hours of continuing education in each license renewal period. The continuing education shall be offered in a course or program of study related to the bail bond business that is approved by the superintendent of insurance and shall include at least one hour of approved ethics training. The superintendent shall not renew the license of any surety bail bond agent who fails to meet the continuing education requirements or whose application for renewal does not meet the requirements of section 3905.85 of the Revised Code.
Ohio Revised Code §§ 3905.85(G): All individuals licensed as a surety bail bond agent in Ohio are required to have a wallet identification card that includes the licensee’s photograph and any other information required by the superintendent. The licensee shall keep the wallet identification card on the licensee’s person while engaging in the bail bond business. The superintendent has designated PSI Services, INC. as the source of these photo ID cards.