“Third party administrator” means any person that adjusts or settles claims in connection with life, dental, vision, health or disability insurance plans, self-insurance programs or other benefit plans for a sponsor of a plan if either the sponsor or the plan is domiciled in this state or has its principal headquarters or principal administrative offices in this state.
“Third party administrator” does not include any of the following:
- An insurance agent or solicitor licensed in this state whose activities are limited exclusively to the sale of insurance and who does not provide any administrative services;
- Any person who administers or operates exclusively the workers’ compensation program of an employer who has been granted self-insurance status pursuant to section 4123.35 of the Revised Code;
- Any person who administers pension plans for the benefit of its own members or employees or administers pension plans for the benefit of the members or employees of any other person;
- Any person that administers an insured plan, a self-insurance program, or other benefit plans in connection with life, vision, dental, health, or disability benefits exclusively for the person’s own members or employees; and
- Any health insuring corporation organized under Chapter 1751. of the Revised Code, or an insurance company that is authorized to write life or sickness and accident insurance in this state.
Pharmacy Benefit Managers:
- Initial Application Checklist
- Electronic TPA Initial Application (Business Entity and Individual)
- Paper TPA Initial Application (Business Entity only)
- Paper TPA Initial Application (Individual only)
- Renewal Application Checklist - TPA license expires annually on June 30th
- Electronic TPA Renewal Application (Business Entity and Individual)
- Paper TPA Renewal Application (Business Entity only)
- Paper TPA Renewal Application (Individual only)
Please submit Third Party Administrator supporting documentation to:
Ohio Department of Insurance
50 W Town St
Third Floor - Suite 300
Columbus OH, 43215
- Ohio Administrative Code - Chapter 3901-8-05
- Ohio Revised Code - Chapter 3959
- For additional information, please contact the Ohio Department of Insurance, Corporate License Section at (614) 644-2665 or fax your request to the Ohio Department of Insurance, Corporate License Section at (614) 644-3475.
Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view most documents, forms or applications in this section.