The department's Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) provides Medicare beneficiaries with free, objective health insurance information, one-on-one counseling, and educates consumers about Medicare, Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D), Medicare Advantage options, Medicare supplement insurance.
OSHIIP is funded by a federal grant and by the state of Ohio. The Ohio Department of Insurance in Columbus administers the program. In 2019, OSHIIP has:
- Counseled more than 435,000 people
- Saved Ohio consumers $32 million
- Distributed more than 1,000,000 publications
- Trained and certified more than 2,600 community-based volunteers
- Established more than 20 information sites and is a proud member of:
- Ohio Medicare Partners
- Ohio’s Aging Eye Public/Private Partnership
- A national network of similar state programs
Free services are available from OSHIIP, specifically for those enrolled or eligible for Medicare. We will answer your questions about any of the matters listed below:
- Medicare health coverage for seniors and for people under age 65 with disabilities.
- Medicare prescription drug plans.
- Medicare Advantage Plans (example: HMOs and PPOs).
- Medicare supplemental insurance.
- Financial assistance programs for people with limited income.
- Long-term care insurance.
Due to COVID-19, OSHIIP is currently hosting all speaking engagements virtually. Our speakers can discuss Medicare & issues related to health insurance for people covered by Medicare. Contact us if you'd like to arrange a virtual speaking engagement at 800-686-1578.
OSHIIP Volunteer Information
Apply to Become an OSHIIP Volunteer
Without volunteers, OSHIIP could not fulfill its mission. Dedicated people are needed to be volunteers in all parts of Ohio. As a volunteer, you will:
- Learn Medicare in easy-to-use online training modules
- Help people in your community
- Have the satisfaction of taking part in a truly worthy cause
If you’re interested, please visit our OSHIIP Volunteers website, call 800-686-1578, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tools and Applications for OSHIIP Volunteers
Medicare Information and Publications
Medicare information, featured consumer resources, publications, tip sheets, news and more can be found on our Medicare page.