The following is an examination and licensing procedure checklist for the agent licensing process in Ohio. For more information regarding exam registration, or for directions to a testing center, please contact PSI Services LLC at 855-807-3995 or https://www.psiexams.com/ohin. For more information regarding the application process, please contact the License Division of the Ohio Department of Insurance at 614-644-2665.
Prepare for the Exam
- Take appropriate pre-license education course, if required
- Find the outline for your exam at https://www.psiexams.com/ohin
- Use the appropriate study materials
- Obtain a course completion certificate for each line of authority
Schedule the Exam
- You may schedule your exam by mail, fax, phone or online.
- Online: Go to https://www.psiexams.com/ohin to make an online reservation for an examination. Online reservations must be made at least 24 hours before the desired exam date.
- By Phone: Contact PSI at 1-855-807-3995 at least 24 hours before the desired exam date. The PSI registrars are available Monday – Friday between 7:30 am – 10:00 pm (EST), and Saturday-Sunday between 9:00 am – 5:30 pm (EST).
- By Fax: Complete the PSI Registration form, found in the Ohio Licensing Candidate Information bulletin and fax to 1-702-932-2666. Fax lines are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The completed form should be faxed at least 4 business days before the desired examination date.
- You may test at any PSI testing center in Ohio; you may also make arrangements through PSI Services LLC to take the Ohio insurance exams at other PSI Service LLC locations nationwide.
Take the Exam
- Two (2) forms of signature identification, one of which must be government-issued and photo-bearing (preferably a driver’s license)
- Original and valid pre-licensing education certificate(s) or original and valid education waiver letter from ODI for each examination that will be taken. (The certificate and/or waiver letter are valid for 180 calendar days from completion of course or issuance by the department)
- Confirmation number provided when the reservation was made
- Failing score report (if retaking the examination)
- Arrive thirty (30) minutes before the examination
- If you want to complete the application process at the test center (optional), you must also bring:
- Credit/Debit Card to have fingerprints taken at the test center after passing the exam
- Information necessary to complete the license application online after passing the exam
- Common errors that cause issues at PSI test centers.
After Passing the Examination
- Complete an electronic criminal background check using National WebCheck. Results of the BCI & FBI background checks must be submitted to the Ohio Department of Insurance directly from BCI. National WebCheck facilities can be found by clicking the following link: ODI authorized National WebCheck locations
- Complete the Uniform Resident Agent Application. Access to a computer to complete the online application is available at all of PSI's Ohio test centers
- Submit applications and/or any supporting material to: Ohio Department of Insurance, 50 W. Town Street, Third Floor - Suite 300, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
After a License Has Been Issued
- Once the application and any supporting documents are reviewed and approved for licensure, a license will be issued The department will email a confirmation of the issuance of the license along with instructions on how to print the new license online
After Unsuccessful passage of Examination
- Follow the instructions on the score report received from PSI Services LLC.