The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires that every state has an exchange where consumers can buy individual health insurance policies. In Ohio, the federal government runs the health insurance exchange. Ohioans who do not have health insurance through their employer, Medicare, or Medicaid may be eligible to purchase coverage through the exchange. Open enrollment for the next coverage year is November 1 to December 15.
The sections below include a summary of Ohio’s individual market for 2021. The data is based on product filings the Ohio Department of Insurance is currently reviewing.
Ohio’s Health Insurance Market 2021
- For 2020, the department approved 10 companies to sell on the exchange. Based on the plan information the department approved, most counties had at least three insurers. 29 counties had two insurers, and just one county had only one insurer.
- For 2021, the department approved those same 10 companies to sell on the exchange. Based on those filings, all counties will have at least two insurers and all but 10 counties will have three or more insurers.
Companies Who Have Filed to Sell in 2021
- AultCare Insurance Company
- Buckeye Community Health Plan
- Community Insurance Company
- Medical Health Insuring Corp. of Ohio
- Molina Healthcare of Ohio, Inc.
- Oscar Buckeye State Insurance Corporation
- Oscar Insurance Corporation of Ohio
- Paramount Insurance Company
- Summa Insurance Company
Individual Market Premium Information for 2021
- Premiums for 2021 are projected to stay relatively stable from 2020 - though individual companies' rates will vary from the average. Weighted average annual premiums for the individual market for 2021 is projected to be $5,670.63. In 2020 weighted average annual premiums were $5,690.26 - a decrease of .4%.
Questions and Answers
When do I begin shopping for my new coverage?
All Ohioans who purchased health insurance through the federal exchange in 2020 will need to select a plan for 2021 during open enrollment, which begins November 1.
When will I be impacted by these changes if I buy on the exchange?
January 1, 2021. Open enrollment begins on November 1, 2020, and runs through December 15, 2020. You will need to choose a plan during this time if you want your coverage effective January 1, 2021.
I need assistance to understand my situation and my options. Who should I contact?
During exchange open enrollment, the best first step is to contact an agent or broker. Additionally, consumers looking to obtain coverage may contact the federal exchange in Ohio directly by visiting www.healthcare.gov or by calling 800-318-2596. However, if consumers are having problems with their current coverage, claims disputes, or other concerns with their policy they can contact the Ohio Department of Insurance at 800-686-1526.